By Carter Lindberg
Charting the increase and improvement of Christianity, Carter Lindberg has succeeded in writing a concise and compelling heritage of the world’s greatest faith. He spans over 2,000 years of colourful incident to provide an authoritative historical past of Christianity for either the overall reader and the start pupil.
- Ranges from the missionary trips of the apostles to the tele-evangelism of the twenty-first century.
- Demonstrates how the Christian neighborhood obtained and solid its identification from its improvement of the Bible to the current day.
- Covers themes primary to figuring out the process Western Christianity, together with the expansion of the papacy, heresy and schism, reformation and counter-reformation.
- Includes an advent to the historiography of Christianity, a notice at the difficulties of periodization, an appendix on theological phrases, and an invaluable bibliography.
- An authoritative but succinct background, written to entice a normal viewers in addition to scholars of the heritage of Christianity.
- Written via across the world seemed theologian, Carter Lindberg, who's the writer of various titles on theology and Church history.
Read or Download A brief history of Christianity PDF
Similar religious history books
The ebook presents an account of many Jesuits, from the time of St. Ignatius to the 1990's, who've been incarcerated all over the world for his or her religion. it truly is divided into chapters that care for particular issues relating to their imprisonment. The critical subject matters are: prayer as a key point in survival, arrest and trial tactics, the event of ache, Mass, the day-by-day order of legal lifestyles, compelled hard work, ministry to different prisoners, guards, prisoners who grew to become Jesuits whereas imprisoned, group in legal, and voluntary incarceration.
Exploring the variety of yank religions, this paintings examines the huge diversity of faiths, practices, figures and doctrines. From abortion and faculty prayer to capital punishment and astrology, those volumes conceal tradition, politics, felony matters and social activities.
Approximately forty% of all american citizens haven't any reference to prepared faith. but a lot of those humans, although they may by no means step inside of a home of worship, dwell profoundly religious lives. yet what's the nature and cost of unchurched spirituality in the United States? Is it a contemporary phenomenon, a brand new Age fad that would quickly fade, or a long-standing and crucial point of the yank event?
Whereas early smooth Finland was once Lutheran in conception, a non secular plurality – embodied in ceremonies and rituals and interpreted as magic – flourished. Unorthodox and superstitious practices merged with catechism hearings and sermon preaching one of the laity. This ebook information how western and jap affects manifested themselves in Finnish magic.
- Inventing Superstition: From the Hippocratics to the Christians
- Frontiers of Faith: The Christian Encounter with Manichaeism in the Acts of Archelaus (Nag Hammadi and Manichaean Studies)
- Incantations and Anti-Witchcraft Texts from Ugarit
- A History of Religion East and West: An Introduction and Interpretation
- Augustine: Political Writings
- Puritan Iconoclasm during the English Civil War (Studies in Modern British Religious History)
Additional info for A brief history of Christianity
In light of the formulation of Nicaea and Constantinople, the theotokos title expressed, especially for the Alexandrians, the belief that, in the Incarnation, deity and humanity were so closely united that neither birth nor death nor salvation could be attributed to one nature without the other. Alexandrian Christology used the liturgical term theotokos to support its emphasis on the unity of the person of Christ. To Cyril of Alexandria it was of course a natural expression. Indeed, it was used everywhere in the East except where the school of Antioch was influential.
The pedagogical role of monasteries extended beyond collecting wisdom to promoting it through writing and copying. Such work was deemed meritorious for salvation. Hence the story that a sinful monk saved his soul because God cancelled a sin for every letter he copied; and fortunately, he had just one remaining letter to his credit. Monastic culture was not limited to copying texts from the past, but also engaged in a variety of intellectual pursuits related to monastic life.
The emperor called the Council of Ephesus to settle the theological question. Ephesus, however, was both a haven for adherents of Cyril’s position and the ancient cult center of the virgin goddess Artemis/Diana that by now had been co-opted to the cult of the theotokos. Whether or not Pulcheria had a hand in choosing this site, the city was packed with pro-Cyril supporters and monks angry at Nestorius. To cap it all off, the council met Sibling Rivalry 31 BHOC03 31 6/6/05, 10:31 AM in a church dedicated to the Virgin Mary.